elders???

elders???

Postby Kearstenk » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:05 pm

so idk how me and my mom got into this convo but she was talking about how you should always respect your elders and stuff and I said to her that I will only respect them if they respect me.. they are no different from anyone else they are just older. So if they aren't going to respect me or anyone else why should I give respect back. Am I wrong for this??
Kearstenk

Re: elders???

Postby Unicorn_1320 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:16 pm

I agree with you 100%. Everyone tells me I should respect my elders. If they aren’t respecting me then I’m sorry, I will try to respect you but there’s no promises
Unicorn_1320

Postby Selenelion » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:20 pm

This is my beliefs. That there are 2 types of respect. 1. Treat you like a human being respect. (Which you should treat everyone with this level of respect) and 2. I look up to/admire you respect. So I respect you on a deeper level and have to get to know you. Elders deserve first level respect from the getgo but second level respect needs to be earned.
Selenelion

Postby cacahuate86 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:15 am

As an 'elder' here, I will tell you - with all the authority of my years - that adults don't know shit about anything either.

Treat everyone (regardless of age) with a base level of respect but don't defer to anyone just because they're older. If you don't agree with them, never be afraid to say so and/or uncompromisingly stick up for what you think is right.
If you ask me, the world is entirely too 'polite' as it is. We need kids who aren't afraid to rebel... kids who aren't afraid to stand up to us adults, hold a mirror before our faces and force us to see how little respect we all deserve from anyone but ESPECIALLY from the younger generations.
You don't have to respect anyone who does nothing to earn it. And look at the dumpster fire our world is today! Your elders are responsible for that. Each and every one of us. Very, very few of your elders actually deserve any respect.
Sapere aude
cacahuate86

Postby juni_bug » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:07 am

i show little respect to my mother’s side of the family. i now realized that they manipulated a young child (me) into thinking that their father is the reason for their mother’s death.
they always blamed my father and always made me go against them.
i was young. i didn’t know.
they deserve no respect. those kind of people don’t deserve any.
Last edited by juni_bug on Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
juni_bug

Postby PositiveVibes08 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:11 am

I can never respect older people if they say that I should respect them because they're older.
That, mixed with my retaliation, makes me do the opposite.
✨Sparks✨
PositiveVibes08

Postby ØNamelessØ » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:00 pm

This ‘respect your elders’ thing is bs. Most elders where I am are racist and homophobic. I don’t blame them for it because they don’t know any better, but I definitely don’t respect them. I’m polite though unless they directly insult me. Just because they were born a couple decades before me doesn’t mean I should respect them.
ØNamelessØ

Return to Relationship with Parents