Who has a mom that does not let their kids have social media

Re: Who has a mom that does not let their kids have social m

Postby cacahuate86 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:45 am

I don't get the need to constantly present yourself to the entire world either. I don't have any social media other than this forum and Linkdin (which is job-related).
I get it if you're a photographer maybe and need Instagram to book jobs and such, but I'm glad that I don't need it. The social media sphere is such a bullshit, low-quality, ignorant environment.
I know it's difficult for kids to understand these days, but you're dealing with never before seen levels of anxiety and social incompetence as it is... why add to that by spending all your time online instead of face-to-face with the people that matter?
Of course the pandemic doesn't help there, but at some point we'll be able to see each other in person again. Don't hate on your parents... make an effort to actually spend time with them and your friends.
Sapere aude
cacahuate86

Postby ØNamelessØ » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:04 pm

^ to answer your question, personally I need to present myself so everyone can see. I suppose it’s a need to be liked? I hate to be THAT teenager, but I feel like adults wouldn’t understand much. We’ve been brought up around social media and around the influencers who basically ‘rule’ it, and it’s hard to kind of step away from that. Especially now that the majority of people in our age group have instagram, Snapchat, Twitter... It’s like a fun way to communicate with people. But then over time it turns negative.
I use social media basically as a cry for help. I’m too scared to actually ask for help, but I can post something on my story and someone will offer. The minute I delete it, I’ll be alone and have nobody to go to. Idk, that’s what it feels like anyway 🤷‍♀️
ØNamelessØ

Postby Lou30 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:33 am

The only thing that anoys me the most is that all !y friends have social media but i don't so say they are all gonna hang out after school hours I have to Find out either by my friends telling me or them going and me finding out the day or week later even then my mum doesn't let me go BC she doenst trust me
Lou30

Postby Kaypay_59 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:51 am

Literally same here. I can’t ever leave the house unless school or with my mom. And once in 5th/6th grade I had Snapchat (which I absolutely loved btw( ppl at my school use it more than insta)) and I posted a bikini picture of my self on my story. ( not in a sexy way even) just saying that I was going to the pool if anyone wanted to come with. So my mom was on my snap and she took it away because of that. Then in 6th grade I got it again and my mom was ok with it. But I posted something on my story that made one person mad and she said that “I was causing drama and that’s not what Snapchat is for.” So she took it away then to. Then a few months later I tried to get Instagram in the browser (I hid it from my mom tho) then my sister found out and she told my mom. Then I was social media free for almost 2 years after that but in October of 2020 I got tik tok and Instagram (hid it from my mom again) and my sister had it to. But one day I had a really bad day, so on the bus I started to cry and when I got home my mom saw and we were talking my phone was blowing up because I posted a picture of me crying on my Instagram story and ppl kept asking what was wrong. So my mom checked my texts and she saw that I had Instagram and in my Instagram bio it said to follow me on tik tok and then I had to tell my mom the whole story and she was furious. But I tried to tell her that my sister had it to but she didn’t listen (my sister did get in trouble eventually) so now I really want snap because all of my friends have it and I need to know what is going on with everyone. This is so dumb.
Kaypay_59

Postby Selenelion » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:27 am

Don't get social media behind your parents backs. You don't need to know what's going on unless it's for a specific purpose. (I had sbapchaf for a bit because thats how my team communicated)
Selenelion

Postby Pigeon » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:54 pm

My parents think everyone on the internet is a child predator and criminal
Pigeon

Postby cacahuate86 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:58 pm

Ironically, I bet that these days, if you ask parents of young teens (probably especially those who don't let their kids use SM), they'll have met on the internet :lol:
Sapere aude
cacahuate86

Postby Candy_Kid » Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:59 pm

I'm not allowed it, but I dont think I rly need it, like it's not necessary to have a decent life
Candy_Kid

Postby XxDancerChloexX » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:03 pm

cacahuate86 wrote:Ironically, I bet that these days, if you ask parents of young teens (probably especially those who don't let their kids use SM), they'll have met on the internet :lol:

Nope- My parents met at a chick-fil-a at a mall where my father was working, my mother worked at a store a couple down from him. So it was easier for my mom to stop there than the other food places.
XxDancerChloexX

Postby +Chocolate_18 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:07 pm

Allie8 wrote:My mom doesn't let me on social media either. She won't let me Google anything. She has this app that can do anything on my phone like delete apps or disable them.

My dad does the exact Same thing like all my friends have Tik Tok and Snap and Insta and I have nothing and it is so annoying he doesn’t let me have it because he thinks that it is dangerous and people will come and stalk me and at school he stalks what I am doing in my search history and i get told off for going on YouTube and etc
+Chocolate_18

PreviousNext

Return to Relationship with Parents