No nasal bone

Now I am pregnant!

Re: No nasal bone

Postby MixedCouple » Thu May 06, 2021 11:13 pm

Yes I agree my midwife said don't go early even 11 weeks as they may recall you the following week to repeat the scan its craY how a few days can make such a big difference.
I ended up going at 12 weeks and 3 days.
MixedCouple

Postby Amaretti » Fri May 07, 2021 8:20 pm

I was told by doc and sonographer if I'm getting a scan for spina bifida I have to be over 12 weeks but under 14 to get an accurate result. They're still forming at 11-12weeks. Give a few more weeks then have another scan done if you can, at this stage try not to stress over it 💕💕
Amaretti

Postby Cal Correa » Sat May 08, 2021 5:59 am

Thanks my ladies.. you'll give me some hope
Cal Correa

Postby Cal Correa » Sun May 09, 2021 1:54 pm

Just a quick update..went to the doctor today to see if I can book myself for NIPT scan but had to opt to get it done outside due to major cost difference in doing it at the hospital and outside..when she scanned me normally with her ultrasound machine she also pointed out that no nasal bone.. I'm just wondering if that ultrasound machine that she has can detect it or is she just agreeing with the radiologist who advised me to get it done..
Cal Correa

Postby Pia90 » Sun May 09, 2021 4:25 pm

I was told, depending on your ethnicity, the nasal bone isn't very visible. Asians and people of african descendants usually barely have strong or visible nasal bones. So that also plays a role.
Pia90

Postby Allie88 » Sun May 09, 2021 5:17 pm

I think there might be more to this or your gestational age is just off by at least a week.

In case it is not, and nasal bone really isnt there - you have to go solely by what a medical professional tells you because they got experience in this field not us - and it would be foolish to take our words for it.

Unfortunately the only experience of something similar i have was watch someone else's story on youtube, however apart from nasal bone missing they had a black spot on the brain area and it wasn't symmetric which later was confirmed in NIPT as trisomy. You can read plenty and freak yourself out unnecessarily before you have any facts/ tests and actual information so honestly - i wholeheartedly, dont recommend it.

Continue taking folic acid, eating healthy and prenatal multivitamins. Try getting some good exercise and sleep. Apart from that all, is there any history of chromosomal abnormalities in family? What ethnicity are you? Are you actually 12ish weeks now, or is this an estimate based on LMP? Because if its based on estimate still - you could've in fact ovulated very late so technically gestational actual age could be upto two weeks behind. But, if the gestational age has been evaluated based on baby size/ development then you would just have to wait and see what results will tell you.

Its a scary uncertain time, but keep strong and keep going!
Allie88

Postby Jolie3110 » Sun May 09, 2021 6:29 pm

I would personally take the NIPT blood test. It is very accurate at this gestational age. Even if you wait for a rescan, the result might be the same in the next scan - so you would end up taking the NIPT or other tests later on.
Just my opinion, follow the advice from your doctor.
Jolie3110

Postby Cal Correa » Wed May 12, 2021 6:11 am

Allie88 wrote:I think there might be more to this or your gestational age is just off by at least a week.

In case it is not, and nasal bone really isnt there - you have to go solely by what a medical professional tells you because they got experience in this field not us - and it would be foolish to take our words for it.

Unfortunately the only experience of something similar i have was watch someone else's story on youtube, however apart from nasal bone missing they had a black spot on the brain area and it wasn't symmetric which later was confirmed in NIPT as trisomy. You can read plenty and freak yourself out unnecessarily before you have any facts/ tests and actual information so honestly - i wholeheartedly, dont recommend it.

Continue taking folic acid, eating healthy and prenatal multivitamins. Try getting some good exercise and sleep. Apart from that all, is there any history of chromosomal abnormalities in family? What ethnicity are you? Are you actually 12ish weeks now, or is this an estimate based on LMP? Because if its based on estimate still - you could've in fact ovulated very late so technically gestational actual age could be upto two weeks behind. But, if the gestational age has been evaluated based on baby size/ development then you would just have to wait and see what results will tell you.

Its a scary uncertain time, but keep strong and keep going!

I'm Indian and the GA at the time of NT scan I was told was 11w3d although I was 12w1d at the time. Got my NIPT when GA was dot 12w..
Doc did mention about ethnicity but I barely doubt it coz we have our son who is 4y and was fine during scans.. no history of chromosomal abnormality in our families.. gosh..this is so worrying..I don't want to lose my baby the third time.. my son has been eagerly praying for me to give him a sibling.. pls pray mommies
Cal Correa

Postby LadyF » Mon May 17, 2021 5:10 am

Jolie3110 wrote:I would personally take the NIPT blood test. It is very accurate at this gestational age. Even if you wait for a rescan, the result might be the same in the next scan - so you would end up taking the NIPT or other tests later on.
Just my opinion, follow the advice from your doctor.

I have to agree with Jolie on this one. Although they are still developing at this stage,their brain is matured. I had an average risk with my first trimester blood tests and my doctor sent me for NIPT... Expensive I know but his reasoning was " rather know early and take necessary steps than nurture pregnancy for 20 weeks,bond with the baby only to find out later than there are abnormalities and you should make a decision considering termination in that stage".... For your peace of mind, I suggest that you do the test and rule out the possibility of mental issues then you will be better fitted to deal with everything going forward. I hope you can find a solution to this
The lovely LadyF
LadyF

Postby PinkK_ » Tue May 18, 2021 1:05 am

I also agree with the above on getting a nipt test, you and your partner should also have conversations about how you both feel if you get a positive for any of the trisomy conditions, speak with a doctor about them if you need more information about what it might mean for both of you and your baby. There is no right or wrong decision, just one that is right/wrong for you and your partner because (if positive) no matter the outcome you and your partner have to live with that decision. I am sorry you are going through this stress without answers and am sending you all my best wishes.
PinkK_

PreviousNext

Return to I'm pregnant!