UK ladies- vitamin question

Now I am pregnant!

UK ladies- vitamin question

Postby 2004ns » Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:17 am

I was wondering which pregnancy vitamins you take and which you find beneficial.
I am currently taking pregnacare tablets. Are the pregnacare max worth the money? They are slightly expensive.
Boots currently have an offer and I wanted to stock up so would be grateful if any of you can share your experiences of the Vitamins

Thanks
2004ns

Re: UK ladies- vitamin question

Postby MixedCouple » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:14 pm

Too be honest my brother inlaw was his a consultant OBGYN has said if your earing a varied diet pregnancy vitamins are a gimmick. He said only justified for women who have bad vomiting and can't keep food down and not eating well.

I just take Vitmain D, Omega-3 and Folic Acid. That's it. Now and then I take a Boroca which is a vitmain C tablet with a few extras included in it but yeah unless needed just stick to the basics.
MixedCouple

Postby 2004ns » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:12 pm

Oh ok thanks. I think il just stick with the pregnacare normal ones which contain folic acid.
Boots currently have buy one get one free so works out well.
2004ns

Postby MixedCouple » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:33 pm

2004ns wrote:Oh ok thanks. I think il just stick with the pregnacare normal ones which contain folic acid.
Boots currently have buy one get one free so works out well.

Yeah unless you are having terrible sickness just stick to the basics and yeah but one get one free that's great.
MixedCouple

Postby Gamo2244802 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:46 pm

I was using pregnacare conception,still couple of boxes left so sticking to it.it has same amount of folic acid as prescribed during pregnancy, once i finish the boxes, I'll stick to folic acid and vitamin d too
Gamo2244802

Postby Allie88 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:42 pm

Honestly, never stock up on vitamins, not all will agree with you through out pregnancy. I started of with 7seas they were fine, now they cause heartburn, so im switching to pregnare by vitabiotics since they are lighter on my stomach. Pregnancy multivitamins are beneficial - especially if you have had long morning sickness and still eating only things you can stomach - you need the nutrients. Folic acid, omega 3, vit d and calcium are the bare basics.

Vit d and calcium is advised to take more of - dairy foods, fortified milk etc especially in second trimester.

You cannot take normal multivitamins during pregnancy for 1 solid reason - if you look at the amounts of vit a and others - they are WAY in excess of what is safe during pregnancy - and hence those are a big no no and thats why pregnancy multivitamins are a thing. Best honestly talk to your gp and see what they advise you for your situation and your normal diet.
Allie88

Postby 2004ns » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:41 am

Thanks. I have been using pregnacare for the last few months and they havnt caused me any problems and I hope they continue to work well for me.
2004ns

Postby Wobbly Nurse » Sat May 08, 2021 7:01 am

Hi, I am a nurse and gave birth in February.
I was using pregnacare for a while and stocked up as they were agreeing with me fine until one day I couldn't stomach them anymore and my morning sickness became horrendous. From week 5 until week 24 I could barely move from the toilet and the vitamins made it worse I tried a few different types but all had the same effect other than wilko plain folic acid. I hope that helps.
Wobbly Nurse

Postby JojoMc » Sat May 08, 2021 8:20 am

Hey, I often looked at the pregnacare pro and thought I wonder if they are better. I stuck with basic pregnecare from the moment I had my first positive and stopped around week 20. I have had recurrent thrush since 8 weeks pregnant still to day 28 weeks. So I thay was
JojoMc

Postby JojoMc » Sat May 08, 2021 8:21 am

Sorry .... I pressed submit lol I meant to say that was the only reason I came off them at 20 weeks just to test if they helped towards that. But no difference. So to summarise pregnacare done me good and had no issues.
JojoMc

Next

Return to I'm pregnant!