Importance of Prenatal vs. Conception?

Try to conceive, I really want a baby!

Importance of Prenatal vs. Conception?

Postby MamaBear1618 » Sun May 09, 2021 2:31 am

Hello all,

I keep hearing that you should start prenatals a few months before ttc-ing, but can you do that while on birth control? I was going to stop my birth control this May so that we can ttc, but I haven't taken any prenatals. I was just going to take them when I was do e with my birth control pill.

Should I have started earlier? Will something wrong happen if I conceive before being on prenatals for a few months?
MamaBear1618

Re: Importance of Prenatal vs. Conception?

Postby Kbauti11 » Sun May 09, 2021 2:38 am

[quote="MamaBear1618"]Hello all,

I keep hearing that you should start prenatals a few months before ttc-ing, but can you do that while on birth control? I was going to stop my birth control this May so that we can ttc, but I haven't taken any prenatals. I was just going to take them when I was do e with my birth control pill.

Should I have started earlier? Will something wrong happen if I conceive before being on prenatals for a few months?[

I can’t really speak to the part of taking the two together, not sure if there’s an impact but I don’t think it’s going to cause a huge amount of harm if you don’t take them before conceiving. Think about how many pregnancies are a surprise and result in a healthy baby. I just think if you know you’re going to start trying might as well take them. But at the end of the day I wouldn’t not ttc because you haven’t started them! I would recommend talking to your doctor about taking them together though, just to be safe!

Best of luck to you!
Kbauti11

Postby Lallen » Sun May 09, 2021 3:39 am

It's fine to take them together
Lallen

Postby Never_you_mind » Sun May 09, 2021 6:15 am

I never took them first as each time was a surprise and I never actively tried so you will be perfectly fine. They say it just helps get it all ready but don't stress if you don't
Never_you_mind

Postby HimuraMai » Mon May 10, 2021 9:27 am

You can start folic acid any time. That's the important one as it's very necessary for early pregnancy. You can also start taking it after getting pregnant but it is recommended to start before.
So go ahead and get prenatal (it must contain 400mcg or 200% folic acid).

Folic acid help prevent a spinal deformity called spina bifida. It's why it's so important.
Also chicken liver has a natural abundance of it naturally.
HimuraMai

Return to TTC(Try to conceive)