Scared I’m not going to have milk...

Scared I’m not going to have milk...

Postby TamiRiddle » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:36 pm

Hi. I’m very close to having my baby now(36w), but I am scared to not being able to breastfeed my baby.

My mother’s family has 3 generations of “dry women”: my great grandmother wasn’t able to breastfeed, my grandmother didn’t have a single drop of milk or colostrum... my mother almost killed me trying to breastfeed for 40 days (I was extremely underweight, cried a lot, dehydrated and when my parents took me to the ER the doctor told my mom that I could have died because I wasn’t being fed with milk but just colostrum and even that had stopped at some point...).

Now it comes to me. Every one of my friends and coworkers had their breasts enlarged in the end of their pregnancy and felt they were like a balloon ready to pop. I on the other hand didn’t have any change in my breasts whatsoever, I have big boobs, but they didn’t grow, developed, gotten heavier, harder, zit! Nothing at all.

I still have hopes that it will work somehow but even my doctor is not very confident about it... is there anything I could do to help?
TamiRiddle

Re: Scared I’m not going to have milk...

Postby flopsy » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:03 pm

You can try lactation boosting supplements, nursing teas, lactation drops (herbal based), foods that help boost milk production like oats (oatmeal), fenugreek.

Having said that, there are women that cannot breastfeed. I know a few, that try as they can, they cannot breastfeed. Thankfully we can supplement with formula nowadays. Wish you all the best.
flopsy

Postby Mojkubek » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:46 pm

Please look for help with the lactation advisor. There are people who’s job is to help women with all sorts of lactation problems and they have plenty of experience. Get all the professional help that’s available to take the stress and anxiety off your shoulders, it’s opposite of what you need right now. I keep fingers crossed for you!
Mojkubek

Postby TamiRiddle » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:10 pm

I went to a professional and a doctor this week, both asked me to wait for the baby in two weeks to see how things go, the doctor asked for some exams too.
Both of them said to not keep my hopes up because I have a long family history and my breasts don’t seem to be ready for lactation even though being so close to giving birth. Either way I will have to wait and see.
TamiRiddle

Return to Breastfeeding