Pregnancy & Psychiatric Medication

Pregnancy & Psychiatric Medication

Postby Laura4rt » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:48 pm

The hubs and I are working to become pregnant. I’m currently on medication to manage my manic depression and anxiety/panic attacks. I was curious as to if anyone else was able to just decrease their dosage to reduce or prevent any issues with their pregnancy. Completely stopping my meds isn’t really an option for me. I’ve done a lot of research and talked with several of my doctors and I’m just getting a lot of mixed feedback as to the effects on the baby. So was hoping to find someone else who had to go through a similar situation and what their decision/experience/results were.
Laura4rt

Re: Pregnancy & Psychiatric Medication

Postby Ngwana-GP » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:27 pm

Hi,im actually diagnosed with MDD and prescribed the highest dosage.i decided to stop the medication on my own because of the comment made by my doctor which I didn't like. I was told "I come before the baby". It usually isn't a good idea to stop entirely, but for my baby I had to as they didn't want to reduce my dosage.
Ngwana-GP

Postby KelseyK » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:44 pm

It’s very dangerous to just stop or reduce psych medications but almost all psych meds also have an extreme negative impact on the baby. It’s really a catch 20/20 and the reason we see a lot of women have a psychotic break postpartum. Please speak with your doctor regarding your best options.
KelseyK

Postby HristinaS » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:47 am

I have a schizoaffective disorder but was on minimum dosage 6 months before getting pregnant. On the day of the positive pregnancy test I stopped all medication! Had 2-3 nights of adjustment (less sleep) and then it was as if I never had mental problems before! But this depends greatly on the meds - I was taking Olanzapine which is a fairly harmless anti-psychotic. My doctor said I have to start taking it again after a few months of breastfeeding, if all goes well! :)
HristinaS

Postby EmaGmb37 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:27 pm

i have bipolarity disorder and i take olanzapine depakine ketiapine and clopixol injection once in 2 weeks and whrn i found that i was pregnant i keep taking the medication without depakine and my baby is 5 months i am not breastfeeding and i have the most happy and lovely baby and the medication was not harmful for her
EmaGmb37

Return to First time Moms