Baby won’t sleep unless held

Baby won’t sleep unless held

Postby Jaiya531 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 11:17 pm

I’m a first time mom, and my baby is 2 weeks old and will be 3 weeks in a couple of days. She will not fall asleep unless she’s being held by either me, my fiancé or my sister. Once she’s been asleep for a good while we place her in the bassinet but once she’s in there, a minute later she starts screaming at the top of her lungs, so naturally we pick her back up and she stops crying.... I don’t know what to do, I’m exhausted because during the night I’m the one who takes care of her since my fiancé works in the morning I don’t want to bother him with the baby... but I can’t exactly fall asleep with her in my arms since it’s unsafe, she also tries sleeping on her belly as well and we don’t allow her because she can suffocate so she will start screaming if we turn her to her back. I don’t know what to do 🙁
Jaiya531

Re: Baby won’t sleep unless held

Postby Danielbabes1201 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:15 am

Girl I know the feeling!

My daughter was in the NICU for a week after she was born and since i got to hold her ALL she wants now is to be held.

My Boppy pillow has been a lifesaver! If I lay her in it just right it makes her feel like she's being held and while she doesn't sleep for as long she does sleep for a while. Of course I always have someone look after her when I do that while I get some rest ( i would never leave her unattended like that).

We also broke down after a while and started cosleeping like we did with my oldest (I understand it's against safe sleep recommendations but momma needed some sleep!). I understand that's not for everyone though and why everyone may not be comfortable doing that, it's just what works the best for us as we get a ton more sleep that way.
Danielbabes1201

Postby Jaiya531 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:24 am

I will definitely be getting a boppy pillow! I was already thinking about getting one and knowing that it helps makes me excited to try it out and sees how she responds. I do let my fiancé let her sleep on his chest but that’s because he already sleeps on his back and his chest is bigger than mine so it safer for her to sleep on him rather than me because I’m only 5’2 and very small so I rather not risk it
Jaiya531

Postby flopsy » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:43 pm

I know it isn't recommended, but all of mine were more comfortable sleeping on their stomachs than their backs. I also coslept with almost all of mine; everyone got more sleep that way.
flopsy

Postby KelseyK » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:31 am

My daughter is the same way. She only sleeps on her back or independent if she is swaddled so I try that. Sometimes it works & sometimes it’s not so well. I also know it’s contraindicated but I let her sleep on her belly with nothing around. She sleeps well that way and we need to sleep 😩
KelseyK

Postby Never_you_mind » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:26 am

I have three children and I read a book when I was pregnant with the first. It stated that whereever they fall asleep the should wake up.... So if they fall asleep in your arms and you put them down they will wake and get emotional because that is not where they fell asleep.
My biggest advice is try very hard to get them to sleep in the bassinet or cot whilst they are younger the older they get the harder it is to get them into their own bed. Good luck and your doing a great job 😊
Never_you_mind

Postby Esdeath » Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:54 pm

Jaiya531 wrote:I’m a first time mom, and my baby is 2 weeks old and will be 3 weeks in a couple of days. She will not fall asleep unless she’s being held by either me, my fiancé or my sister. Once she’s been asleep for a good while we place her in the bassinet but once she’s in there, a minute later she starts screaming at the top of her lungs, so naturally we pick her back up and she stops crying.... I don’t know what to do, I’m exhausted because during the night I’m the one who takes care of her since my fiancé works in the morning I don’t want to bother him with the baby... but I can’t exactly fall asleep with her in my arms since it’s unsafe, she also tries sleeping on her belly as well and we don’t allow her because she can suffocate so she will start screaming if we turn her to her back. I don’t know what to do 🙁

I had the same problem, still have it. It's the reflux.. Everytime you put her down the acid from her stomach goes up and it causes a great discomfort for the baby. Im holding mine for 30 mins after each feed and it helps a bit but Just a little bit.. Ive changed the formula aswell, nothing happened. I have yet to try Baby gaviscon.
Esdeath

Postby Never_you_mind » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:25 pm

Esdeath

I had reflux baby, silent reflux and a few other issues baby and a semi reflux baby.
I would highly suggest gaviscon right away in each bottle, I would also raise the cot bed up so they aren't laying completely flat. Keep baby up right for about 20/30minute after feeding.
If things are still bad head to doctor and see if they can give you some medication.
Lack of sleep is the worst you need to get enough sleep so you properly care for baby.
And also the biggest thing it doesn't last forever it might feel like it but I promise you it won't 😊
Goodluck
Never_you_mind

Postby Tiredto3 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:13 am

Have a look into the 4th trimester. It is absolutely normal and perfectly natural for baby to want to be close to you. You have been their whole world for 9 months. The big outside world is scary. I'd look into the safe sleep seven aswell. Will give you some ideas on how to safely sleep and still have baby close enough to not disturb sleep so much.
Tiredto3

Return to First time Moms