Any Celiacs suffers here??!!

Everything about woman's health

Any Celiacs suffers here??!!

Postby Never_you_mind » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:33 pm

Hello fellow Celiacs,
Iv just been finally diagnosed with Celiac disease and I'm looking for other people who already have it and can give me any advice into this venture/lifestyle.
Im pretty sure I have suffered this all my life but have only just got the diagnosis. It's been a very very tough year and already have been gluten free for about 6 weeks but have just been told I need to be more strict especially with cross contamination.
I also have very low vitamin b12
Extremely low iron (pretty much nothing there)
High tSh level for thyriod (doc said points towards under active thyriod.
High cholesterol
High blood pressure.
If any one has some advice what to look out for, what to expect etc etc would be so extremely helpful.
Thank you in advance ๐Ÿ˜
Never_you_mind

Re: Any Celiacs suffers here??!!

Postby Sealey » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:14 pm

Hello, I've been on gf diet for 7 years. My advice for the beginning is to prepare your own food from scratch, if you are not used to it already. If you have to buy something packed, check the ingredients. Also, in case you like sweets, if you are buying some premade packed gluten free cakes, muffins, cookies, etc. be careful because sometimes they tend to be really caloric ๐Ÿ˜‚ (I rather bake everything on my own. Tastes even better than gluten cakes)
Sealey

Postby Never_you_mind » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:55 pm

Thank you so much for your help. Will be giving the cakes thing a try. It sucks so bad as my husband is a baker!!!

Also have you changed all your shampoo conditioner etc? If so what have you gone for?
Never_you_mind

Postby Sealey » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:36 pm

Never_you_mind wrote:Thank you so much for your help. Will be giving the cakes thing a try. It sucks so bad as my husband is a baker!!!

Also have you changed all your shampoo conditioner etc? If so what have you gone for?

If your husband is a baker maybe he can help you and learn how to bake something delicious gf for you ๐Ÿ˜Š Just be careful about cross contamination at home. My boyfriend eats normal bread and other gluten stuff but otherwise most of the things we cook is gf. Only when we prepare pasta, he prepares his and I prepare mine.
I know that some people keep their household strictly gf or they have separate dishes and pans - I personally have never seen it as a problem, we just wash everything properly. But I keep all my baking supplies gluten free.

I am actually using a ketoconazole shampoo because I have a problem with dandruffs. It doesn't state it's gluten free but never had any issues. Otherwise I don't have any prefered brand.

Maybe if you have facebook you can try to join some gluten free groups. There's lots of people out there like us ๐Ÿ˜Š
Sealey

Postby Never_you_mind » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:46 pm

He doesn't make anything gf in the bakery unfortunately and he has said that we can give it a shot but he isn't familiar with how the flour works so it's all trial and error really.
My doctor has told me I have to take everything out even to the point of wearing gloves when making the kids sandwiches etc so it's going to be a test that's for sure.... He said to do it for at least 6 months to apparently get all gluten out of my system then I could probably relax on alot of things obviously not eat gluten but not be so full on at home.
I don't unfortunately have fb so I don't have access to those groups.
I'm fine with doing all the changes iv been so sick that in just happy to start feeling abit better.
Just scared about getting sick again if I happen to ingest some gluten ๐Ÿ˜•
Never_you_mind

Postby Sealey » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:35 am

Health is a big motivation, isn't it? You are gonna be fine, it's just the beginning when it seems scary.
There are a lot of websites and foodblogs out there with gluten free recipes (I started one too, only for baking) you can follow. It's better for the beginning to have the recipe fully gluten free, that way you know people have tried it before ๐Ÿ™‚
To me cooking wasn't such a big change, the only change was pasta but you can buy gluten free pasta in almost any supermarket (I don't know where you live). But it depends on what you are used to eat.
Baking took me a while to master and even now I find some things not so easy to make (fluffy bread, or other pastries made of yeast dough) but for example cakes made of batter work normally great.
There are gluten free flour mixes on the market (I use mostly doves farm) also there are mixes for specific cakes (but I never tried those). Also there are one kind flours like rice flour, corn flour, sorghum flour, tapioca, etc. and each of them works differently.

Read labels of everything and if you even need to use gloves for touching normal bread, I suggest maybe have some space in the kitchen dedicated to gluten and another dedicated to gluten free to minimize the risk of cross contamination.

Also be careful with medication in case you need any.

Good luck! I hope you feel better every day ๐Ÿ™‚
Sealey

Postby Never_you_mind » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:34 am

Thank you souch for that I have now gone and brought new toaster and everything just for me and have done what you said and made a small part of kitchen just mine lol
Its not be that bad if been gluten free for nearly 2 months but only just got the diagnosis when I posted this, my husband is a fantastic cook and he's been doing most of it unless there's something new I want to try lol
Have you had any other issues along with the Celiacs? It looks like I'm having other issues aswel just wanted to see what is happening with others.
I don't have fb or anything so don't have access to those avenues which has made it abit harder but slowly getting there ๐Ÿ˜
Never_you_mind

Postby Riri357_ax » Fri Jul 09, 2021 4:19 pm

I donโ€™t have celiac but my thyroid doctor said I might and I think there gonna run a few tests in a few months. Theyโ€™re still monitoring my thyroid and ruling out what I have. But is there any early signs of it ?
Riri357_ax

Postby Never_you_mind » Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:46 am

If they think you might have Celiacs KEEP EATING GLUTEN, do not go gluten free until they have done the tests for it, if you cut it out the tests can very quickly come back negative.
Some people don't even have symptoms and has come up for other reasons.
Symptoms are usually tummy issues like diarrhea constipation sore tummy bloating,
Skin rashes or dry skin that doesn't seem to heal.
Foggy brain or forgetfulness
Depression
Vitamin deficiencies mainly b12 and iron
And also thyriod issues,
It's an autoimmune disease so like other autoimmune diseases if you have one your more likely to have another.
I hope that makes sense, I'm still learning about it all so I'm just going off of what I have learnt so far lol
Never_you_mind

Postby Riri357_ax » Sat Jul 10, 2021 6:29 am

Thank you so much ! Honestly I have most of these symptoms but itโ€™s hard to diagnose since many of these symptoms can be other things.
Riri357_ax

Next

Return to Woman Health