Underweight

Underweight

Postby Sputnam » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:21 am

I need help gaining weight. I am 15 years old and am right now, 5’ 2 1/2’’ feet and am 93 pounds. I am way too thin and it’s starting to look scary. You can see my bones stick out of my arms and Im just really wanted to feel pretty again and not have to worry if my legs are too thin. Please any supplements or things I could eat would help a lot. Also can I work out such as doing squats and certain exercises to work my gluteus and abs without losing my weight or should I lay off working out until I have gained enough to look okay? Any help would be great, Thank you ladies.
Sputnam

Re: Underweight

Postby Abbie1613 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:30 am

Hi I’m 15 and I’m 125 pounds and that’s called over weight soooo I think ur fine ????
Abbie1613

Postby asoto1998 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:53 pm

I had a similar problem as you when I joined my high school sports team. I was 15 years old at 5’4” and had dropped from 130lbs to 118lbs. Not a comfortable weight for me. I’ll tell you what I did to get myself back in the 120’s.

1) Don’t start eating loads of food. You’ll make yourself feel sick doing it. Start by eating a little more than you usually do and go from there. If you’re having trouble eating more than you usually do, try drinking one Ensure every day. My mom got those for me and they helped a lot in helping me gain my weight back. The goal here is to get more calories in your body.
2) Don’t go for junk food. People’s immediate suggestion to me was to use my underweight as an excuse to gain it back. Don’t. Just don’t. Stock up on proteins and grains, not fats and oils.
3) If you tend to workout a lot, try to workout a bit less. Weight loss happens by burning more calories than you consume. To gain weight, you should eat more calories than you’re burning off. You don’t have to stop completely, just do some lighter exercises or exercise for a shorter time. Your squats and a few other light exercises should be perfectly fine to do.

If you’re not sure what weight you should be at, you can use this trick my mom told me: once you’re 5 feet tall, you should be 100lbs. For every inch after 5’, add 5lbs. There are other factors that go into how much you should weigh, but it’s a good rule of thumb I like to follow for my baseline weight. Since you are about 5’2.5”, I’d say you should be at least over 110lbs. Don’t take this as law though, the main goal is your comfort, so keep going until you’re comfortable with your body again. Also, remember that weigh gain is a bit of a slow process, especially if you’re still active, but don’t let that discourage you. Good luck!
asoto1998

Postby indiankay » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:47 pm

Hey everyone I'm 18 gonna be 19 November I'm 5'1 and my weight is 95 pounds been to doctors got pills and tonics to take they still don't work am not sure what else to do . everyone is worried about me not eating they say I'm too slim so need help on what I should do please help.
indiankay

Postby Rmalseed519 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:42 pm

Hello!

I have been where you are. I had an eating disorder as a teenager which was caused by anxiety. I had to be hospitalized because I was 90 pounds. While I was there they gave my Ensure to drink in addition to eating. It really doesn’t taste all that good but works well. When I lost my mom earlier this year I drank it after I finally started eating again. Whenever I get to thin I just add Ensure plus to my daily diet and then I’m back to normal. Just be sure to refrigerate them to make it taste better.

Hope this helps!
Rmalseed519

Postby indiankay » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:54 pm

Thanks so much for your help but my condition is gonna need more than ensure tbh. My situation is complicated I'm allergic to certain things that is suppose to help with my body building such as milk cheese etc when I do eat and drink those I can't breathe sometimes so I'm really unsure of what to do and its causing a problem in my relationship also.
indiankay

Postby indiankay » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:56 pm

I'm sorry about your mom ik it isn't easy losing a parent all my condolences to you and i hope your continuing doing good with your health
indiankay

Postby Rawbroccolieater » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:48 pm

Even if you can’t have dairy you can still increase your calorie consumption. Spend a day tracking everything you consume and get a calorie total for how much you are eating. Then add 250 calories to that and aim for that the next day. Pay attention to how much food that was and aim for it the rest of the week. If you haven’t gained half a pound in one week, do it again. Add 250 calories, keep track for a day to get a feel for how much that is, do it for a week. Your goal is to reach an intake that’s high enough to help you gain half a pound a week. As someone said before, you can still exercise, but maybe ease up a little. See a doctor or therapist if you believe there is an underlying cause for your weight loss (eating disorder or maybe stress). I recommend increasing carb foods as they are high in calories and should be 50-60% of your diet anyway. Breads, rice, grains, oatmeal, and so on. You can also look for foods fortified with the vitamins you need you can’t get from milk, soy milk fortified with calcium and vitamin D, or just take a daily vitamin. It’s probably a good idea since you’re concerned you’re not getting enough bodybuilding nutrients from your food. Good luck, stay safe
Rawbroccolieater

Postby Aab2139 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:28 am

I'm going through eating issues right now and I'm pretty confused. I'm 17, 4'11.5 and 95.6 lbs. I was 112 three or four months ago but now it's 95.6. I've stopped having a period too. I don't know what to do. I need help. I'm allergic to gluten and dairy...any suggestions please? I'm a complete mess.
Aab2139

Postby mspinky523 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:02 pm

Nov 16, 2018 2:58 pm

Hi honey. You should make an appointment to see your primary care physician especially since your periods have stopped.
mspinky523

Next

Return to Fitness & Weight Loss