weight lifting

weight lifting

Postby Shenzy Marrie » Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:49 am

Hey,
I'm currently following an exercise routine where I lift mild weights, I'm aiming to gain muscle tissue because I'm an ectomorph and it's really hard to gain fat tissue, I don't get any or much pain during my period which makes it easy for me to do every day tasks normally, I know that lifting any type of weight before or during the period isn't healthy & it makes you bleed a lot, so I was wondering should I skip my workouts during that time?

Thanks <3
Shenzy Marrie

Re: weight lifting

Postby priya » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:59 pm

I generally avoid going to the gym on the 1st two days of my period. But thats mainly because of the pain. If you lift light weights i doubt it will affect your period in any way. If you are comfortable working out during your period, go ahead. I hope this helped :-)
priya

Postby Shenzy Marrie » Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:06 am

Thanks Priya <3
Shenzy Marrie

Postby stellla » Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:39 pm

I love lifting weights but when I have my period i am really in pain so i avoid going to the gym. But I must say that I have noticed less bleed when I exercise...I thing that exercising in any way helps you avoid pain and be happier on these difficult days...anyway maybe our bodies are very different but that's my opinion...kisses :*
stellla

Postby NorthernSpring » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:45 pm

I wouldn’t worry about it. I’m an aerialist and a weight lifter and I exercise all month long no matter what. I’ve actually found that I sometimes feel stronger when I’m menstruating and that frequent exercise on and off my period almost eliminates cramps. Sometimes I’ll catch the barbell and it’ll make blood kinda squirt out??????? But I think that’s just from engaging all the muscles in the lower part of my body. Anyway, good luck and happy lifting!!! :D
NorthernSpring

Postby AbzCat » Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:51 pm

I used to complete in powerlifting and I've never heard of missing training before your period! I've always had pretty heavy periods and it's literally never occured to me to plan gym time around them. Just go to the gym and enjoy it - stop if you're feeling unwell of course but if you're feeling good then just enjoy it :-)
AbzCat

Postby cacahuate86 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:29 pm

I have no idea where you get your information, but you couldn't be more wrong about not exercising when you menstruate.
Stacy Sims wrote a great book (ROAR) about the unique female physiology when it comes to sports and how to optimize your training as a woman and how your period affects your performance (spoiler: you perform better when on your period). I highly recommend it.
I was a competitive swimmer when I was younger... I trained 10 sessions a week in the water and six on dryland, including lifting weights. It never once crossed my mind to not exercise while I was on my period.
Sapere aude
cacahuate86

Return to Exercise