Page 1 of 1

Exercising without being on a diet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:49 am
by ginaaa
Is it possible to exercise without being on a diet and lose weight or maybe look fit ? Because I personally can’t be on a diet but I can exercise. I’m 18 years old and I’m 5’6 and 68kg.
Do you think it’s possible and if it is, how many hours a week should I exercise, how often and what type of exercises do you suggest?

Re: Exercising without being on a diet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:21 am
by Ever-ely
It’s certainly possible but it’s much harder to loose weight without dieting as well. The general rule is to put out what you put in. So I’d suggest to start counting your calorie intake (there are heaps of apps available to help you with this). And then you need to work out how much exercise you need to do to burn off the calories you’ve put in. Again, heaps of apps or online info on what type and intensity of exercise is required to burn off certain amounts. If you can afford it, things like fitbit watches are fantastic for this as they do all the calculations for you. Also just as a general piece of advice... short, high intensity work outs are much more effective than long, low intensity exercise e.g. a 30min hill climb that gets your heart racing vs a 1hr walk that might get you sweating but not puffing.

Re: Exercising without being on a diet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:03 am
by ginaaa
Ever-ely wrote:It’s certainly possible but it’s much harder to loose weight without dieting as well. The general rule is to put out what you put in. So I’d suggest to start counting your calorie intake (there are heaps of apps available to help you with this). And then you need to work out how much exercise you need to do to burn off the calories you’ve put in. Again, heaps of apps or online info on what type and intensity of exercise is required to burn off certain amounts. If you can afford it, things like fitbit watches are fantastic for this as they do all the calculations for you. Also just as a general piece of advice... short, high intensity work outs are much more effective than long, low intensity exercise e.g. a 30min hill climb that gets your heart racing vs a 1hr walk that might get you sweating but not puffing.


Thank you very much for your answer! So you suggest exercises that could make my heart racing, well I have a bike at home, will that work if I do that for like 30 min?

Re: Exercising without being on a diet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:16 pm
by Ever-ely
Every little bit counts. I can’t really tell you what will be guaranteed to work for you cause I don’t know what and how much you’re eating/ drinking. Do some reading online or see if there are some free apps available to help you out. Good luck!

Re: Exercising without being on a diet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:29 pm
by ginaaa
Ever-ely wrote:Every little bit counts. I can’t really tell you what will be guaranteed to work for you cause I don’t know what and how much you’re eating/ drinking. Do some reading online or see if there are some free apps available to help you out. Good luck!


Alright thank you so much!

Re: Exercising without being on a diet

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:03 am
by Flo83
Different things work for different people, we have different body types and metabolisms etc. You may be surprised at how quickly you see a difference! Make it exercise you enjoy and habits will last, or try different things at the start. Again with your diet, make healthier habits rather than a drastic diet that may work but then the weight goes back on. Dieting is no fun! Eat less (or better), move more 😊

Re: Exercising without being on a diet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:36 am
by ginaaa
Flo83 wrote:Different things work for different people, we have different body types and metabolisms etc. You may be surprised at how quickly you see a difference! Make it exercise you enjoy and habits will last, or try different things at the start. Again with your diet, make healthier habits rather than a drastic diet that may work but then the weight goes back on. Dieting is no fun! Eat less (or better), move more 😊


That was very nice! I’ll keep that in mind! Thanks a lot!

Re: Exercising without being on a diet

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 12:59 pm
by Chi02
Am not a fan of dieting because I love my food lol you could try cutting down on your portion size( you could even use a smaller plate/ bowl) and increase your water intake. Never ever skip meals. All the best.

Re: Exercising without being on a diet

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 4:42 pm
by Kamalama
Yeah agree with all of the above, different things work for different people we all have different metabolisms etc... exercise is good for your overall mental health as well as physical health. Diets are for short term fixes, look upon it as small changes and swaps to your existing eating habits...lower fat versions of things. Drink water first if you feel hungry before reaching for the food. Swap unhealthy snacks for fruit, yoghurts and nuts. I believe in everything in moderation should never cut anything out completely because you'll just binge...or maybe that's just me :)