Politics? Intellectual Discussion?

Politics? Intellectual Discussion?

Postby Fire_Side » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:36 am

Hello there! I’d like to discuss politics as well as other more in-depth topics and have it not be muddled by arguments and side conversations. So this topic is strictly made for discussion about intellectual-geared topics: like politics for example, or philosophy.
Please do not debate on this topic if you’re going to get incredibly upset when someone disagrees with you (unless it’s on something like human rights-then go crazy).
Do not use this topic for conversation (casual debates about things are welcome-conversation about random things is not).
I had an old topic like this but it kind of died, so here’s a new one!
I really want to solidify my opinions with more research (or change them if I find new information), so this topic is a way to inspire me-and others-to do that.
That’s basically it. Feel free to post a starting topic if you’re interested!
Fire_Side

Re: Politics? Intellectual Discussion?

Postby Unicorn_1320 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:58 am

I love philosophy a lot, I took a course on anthropology and I took philosophy as well. I had a great teacher who would teach me about society and how we live in a capitalist society. Learned a lot from Karl Marx theory and Charles Darwin’s theory. Philosophy is something I’m passionate about. I have lots of deep questions about society, don’t know if this is the right place to discuss it. Can I just throw a theory out here? I’m not super into politics but I find that it ties in with philosophy. Anyways yea, I got excited about this post.
Unicorn_1320

Postby Fire_Side » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:04 am

Heck yeah! This whole topic is just meant to be throwing topics out so we can discuss them. If I don’t respond right away, I’m probably doing research on that topic because tbh I don’t know a whole lot about philosophy yet-but I want to know more and formulate my own philosophical viewpoints.
Fire_Side

Postby Unicorn_1320 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:16 am

Anthropology is the study of human behaviour and culture. After studying the human brain and actions I moved to Karl marxs theory marxism which talked about capitalism and the working class. If you read a bit more into his theory. I realized that I do live in Canada and we are a democratic society but it’s really just capitalism. The bourgeois(big company owners) are thriving off of the working class(prolariats) we have to sell our time as labor to make money. Social norms exist which play a huge role in society and it keeps the outsiders away. If you don’t fit a certain group then you don’t get the same benefits. People may say that capitalism is gone over here, in reality it’s not. Karl Marx wanted the working class to revolt, it never happened. I can start spilling facts about egalitarian society’s rn too. It will never happen. My passion is about society and why our world is like this and can we change it. Philosophy helped answer a lot of that.
Unicorn_1320

Postby Unicorn_1320 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:18 am

Karl Marx and Thomas Hobbs and Jean jaque russeau are a few philosophers that I liked a lot.

And if you start getting into it. Anthropomorphism in media is another great topic to look into. It’s cool to see how people have been brain washed and manipulated by the media.
Unicorn_1320

Postby Selenelion » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:52 am

I propose you can't debate human rights.
Selenelion

Postby cacahuate86 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:07 am

I think human rights should absolutely be debated. Human rights are an artificial construct, consciously created and codified on the basis of our social morale and evolution. It's part of the social contract... not natural law. Natural law can't be debated. Human rights can and should of course be scrutinized.

Why not allow passionate debate? To define the paramters so narrow that you discourage heated or any arguments defeats the purpose of debating these issues.
Can't see myself participating in this topic. But you guys have fun censoring speech 🤷‍♀️
Sapere aude
cacahuate86

Postby Unicorn_1320 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:45 pm

Human rights is a huge topic that I feel should be discussed. But there should be a few rules when we debate about it. This post was meant to inform others and it’s where we can learn more and change our opinions. But if we do talk about human rights, it needs to be an educated debate. Opinions are great but if you are just throwing out opinions and there’s no real facts then it’s not the most useful discussion.
Unicorn_1320

Postby cacahuate86 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:41 pm

So just ignore the bullshit comments and repsond to the ones that matter 🤷‍♀️ or educate them on how their opinions are wrong and lay out the facts. I really don't see the problem here. If they have no basis for their opinion, they'll just disappear or change the topic anyway, the same way they do whenever we discuss these things. And if they actually do have something substantial to say, they might surprise you.
Any and all opinions deserve to be voiced. Nobody's forcing you to engage if you don't find them valid. I ignore 99% of the nonsense posted on these forums...

So let's talk about the philosophy of human rights!
How about Hobbes and his contractualist theory on legal positivism as the basis for what we now call the social contract? Valid approach or due to be overhauled because of its imperialist nature?
Sapere aude
cacahuate86

Postby Fire_Side » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:05 am

Allow me to do a bit of research on that theory before I debate about it Cacahuate-I’d like to actually produce a well-researched opinion so I don’t look like a fool.
Fire_Side

Next

Return to Teen Social