Who has a mom that does not let their kids have social media

Re: Who has a mom that does not let their kids have social m

Postby flopsy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:02 pm

Some places will goggle job applicants before choosing? Oh my. Then it's very important to think before posting things. I don't have FB either, neither do my children.

Those parents will wonder what suddenly happened that their daughter suddenly loves to read. :lol: I know some students that study at the library as well, so you can combine it...
flopsy

Postby cacahuate86 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:23 pm

Any employer would search a prospective employee's interent presence. I certainly do!
And it's not just embarrassing pictures or questionable political views that are the problem. To be honest, I wouldn't care that much about that sort of stuff. It's how often you post, how open you are with personal information or information of your friends and family, whether your accounts are accessible only to a limited group of people or everyone. Those are all indications how trustworthy, discreet, and loyal you might be as an employee, whether you're an attention whore or a team player We check spelling and punctuation to see whether someone pays attention to detail. We check whether someone tends to writes longer, more thoughtful posts or just throwaway comments, and maybe whether they're meant to be intentionally provocative. And we look how someone reacts to responses in their feed (whether they tend to argue well or just get offended etc.)
And we certainly look how the posts have evolved over time. So it what you post now will matter in 5 years.
Nobod will care whether you smoke in your picture or got drunk at a party a time or two or that you made out with another girl and someone teases you about that on your social media. But from your posts an employer will be able to get an overall impression whether you fit the characteristics they are looking for in an employee that enriches the work-climate and overall philosophy of the workplace beyond academic background and/or work-experience.

And if you have no social media whatsoever, they might also ask you why that is. But then you can honestly say that you live in the real world and don't really have time nor interest what people do on the internet, where everything is fake and overly dramatized anyway. Just look at 99% of the posts on here. No social media presence means you've got your priorities straight, you pay attention to what's important, you focus on your work and real life issues rather than fantasy, you don't waste your time gossiping or falling for fake news, and you are careful, considerate, and discreet.
Now, if you want to apply for a job as a red carpet correspondent for the blog of a fashion magazine, they'll turn you away if you have no social media presence. If you want to become a teacher, or work at a law firm, or at a doctor's office, or anywhere where you meet actual people, no social media presence or a very limited, very discreet social media portfolio will always be an advantage.
Sapere aude
cacahuate86

Postby flopsy » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:36 pm

Very interesting!
flopsy

Postby simplyxjoy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:31 am

same thing but my mom won't budge
simplyxjoy

Postby Vitanilover2006 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:13 pm

I have a similar problem with my mom. There is one main difference though. I’m homeschooled, so I have less ppl to know nothing about ? but it really sucks that the few ppl I do know, I can’t talk to unless I’m at church or a bday party with them. I’m actually kinda happy to hear that I’m not the only one who’s parents do this to them. Not in a weird way like “if I have to suffer so does everyone else,” but more like “wow, so I’m not just some weirdo who’s parents are way too overprotective.” ?
Vitanilover2006

Postby cacahuate86 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:04 pm

How about you actually visit them... the you can talk to them all you want :roll:
Sapere aude
cacahuate86

Postby flopsy » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:40 pm

cacahuate86 wrote:How about you actually visit them... then you can talk to them all you want :roll:

Or undertake something interesting. Such as play a board game or UNO, tennis, bowling, go for a walk, swimming, etc. So many possibilities of things to do without needing a phone or computer.
flopsy

Postby Vitanilover2006 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:22 pm

flopsy wrote:
cacahuate86 wrote:How about you actually visit them... then you can talk to them all you want :roll:

Or undertake something interesting. Such as play a board game or UNO, tennis, bowling, go for a walk, swimming, etc. So many possibilities of things to do without needing a phone or computer.

There are a couple problems with these suggestions. First is that I my fam has four kids and two dogs, meaning very little time to go out and be with friends. The other problem is that our family doesn’t have a lot of money, so signing me up to do stuff like bowling, shopping, etc aren’t really an option for us
Vitanilover2006

Postby cacahuate86 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:05 pm

So? :roll: Take the dogs and your siblings and go for a walk with your friends or hang out at the playground. Your mom will be glad to have an hour to herself and you can see your pals. You don't need money to spend time with your friends...
You can play outside, swim in a pond or lake or river nearby, playgrounds, parks, the woods. I mean, it's what every kid used to do until the invetion of the iPhone. ?‍♀️
Sapere aude
cacahuate86

Postby Vitanilover2006 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:48 pm

cacahuate86 wrote:So? :roll: Take the dogs and your siblings and go for a walk with your friends or hang out at the playground. Your mom will be glad to have an hour to herself and you can see your pals. You don't need money to spend time with your friends...
You can play outside, swim in a pond or lake or river nearby, playgrounds, parks, the woods. I mean, it's what every kid used to do until the invetion of the iPhone. ?‍♀️
Vitanilover2006

PreviousNext

Return to Relationship with Parents