First time at gyno

Teen health

First time at gyno

Postby Nat1 » Sat May 08, 2021 5:10 pm

Hi! I’m 16 and I am considering going to the gyno for the first time. I am virgin and I would like to know what will he/she do. And if I can regect some kind of examination(I heard that they perform examinations from anus and I wouldn’t agree to that😅). Thx for your answer and also I’m sorry for my english
Nat1

Re: First time at gyno

Postby Beardog » Sat May 08, 2021 5:25 pm

I just copied this from one of my other replies to a similar question, hope it's helpful!

When you make the appointment you can specify if you want a female doctor. But if there are none available then male doctors are just as good! All gynecologists are required to have an attending nurse in the room as well, so it'll never be just you and the gyno. Your mum doesn't have to be there either if you don't want her to. (You'll be close to naked, so you can use this as an excuse)

The nurse or doctor will ask you your medical history and such first. Don't lie if they ask you about sexual history, be honest. They just want to know if they should be concerned about possibly pregnancy or STDs or HPV and if they should run tests.

Afterwards they might do a physical exam which consists of checking your vagina and breast tissue. They'll likely put a finger or two into your va**nal canal to feel for irregularities while they push on your abdomen.

Then they might insert a device called a speculum that'll hold you open to actually look into your vagina. This is usually the most uncomfortable part because of the pressure, but it shouldn't be painful! If anything is ever painful let them know right away.

They'll also check your breasts and armpits for lumps and irregular tissue. All in all the while physical shouldn't take more than about ten minutes or so. It's usually pretty quick and shouldn't be painful, just awkward and uncomfortable.

Keep in mind that they have literally seen it all and you can talk to them about anything that's troubling you or anything you're not sure about! Good luck!
Beardog

Re: First time at gyno

Postby Nat1 » Sat May 08, 2021 5:30 pm

Thank you🤍
Nat1

Return to Teen Health