Scratching/hurting oneself

Teen health

Scratching/hurting oneself

Postby Kit kat » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:48 am

So I need a bit of insight I have had feelings of anxiety for a while now nothing to new but what I would do when it would get out of hand was scratching my skin biting my hand I had this urge to cause myself some sort of pain but it was all a bit mild but a couple days ago I was feeling very anxious and starting scratching my skin It wasn’t working for some reason it often eased my feelings when I was feeling out of it so I began to scratch harder and harder until it hurt rather awfully which somehow eased my feelings of anxiousness today I realized that I have a bunch of scabs all over I didn’t realize I had hurt myself to that extent it just seems to be getting more extreme I don’t really trust myself either way I’m just confused but does anyone know why this is happening and such ?

Editors note this all feels a tad bit dramatic.
Hmm what’s this
Kit kat

Re: Scratching/hurting oneself

Postby juni_bug » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:38 am

i do the same thing.
when i feel a negative overwhelming emotion, i scratch my skin, pull at my skin, bite, etc. i do it also when i’m mad.
idk if it’s normal but yeah.
juni_bug

Postby beautiful_bi_queen » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:51 pm

yeah, i do this, along with cutting. my poor fingers like place around the nail is chewed up pretty bad.
beautiful_bi_queen

Location: “past is the past anyways, we cant change it. we can only strive to be better in the future.”-Cookie

Postby Kit kat » Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:27 pm

It seems like everything I’ve tried to get myself to stop hasn’t worked I’m not exactly sure what to do but thank you.
Hmm what’s this
Kit kat

Postby Lou30 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:17 pm

Hwy guys just saying that doing the scratching thing is another way of self harm so try and stop doing it what i do is if u have a sleeve like a hoodie or smthing I'll pull the sleeve down and search the sleve
Lou30

Postby juni_bug » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:48 pm

saying “stop doing it” doesn’t help. you can’t just stop.
juni_bug

Postby Lou30 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:25 pm

juni_bug wrote:saying “stop doing it” doesn’t help. you can’t just stop.

Ok i didn't mean it like that i ment like try and refrain yourself from doing it
Lou30

Postby Kit kat » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:41 pm

Lou30 wrote:Hwy guys just saying that doing the scratching thing is another way of self harm so try and stop doing it what i do is if u have a sleeve like a hoodie or smthing I'll pull the sleeve down and search the sleve

I was concerned it might be as my friend has the same issue sadly I have tried to but when I feel. Cornered it’s a bit difficult To find another outlet.
Hmm what’s this
Kit kat

Postby PositiveVibes08 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:43 pm

I struggle with self harm, so I will tell you what I do to help myself.
I sometimes draw, though I would think coloring would work as well if that's what you prefer.
Also, think of happy things.
Keep sharp objects out of sight.
Write your feelings in a diary/journal.

Good luck.
✨Sparks✨
PositiveVibes08

Postby demigirl_madi » Sun May 02, 2021 11:01 pm

I scratch when I'm anxious or upset too, and once I did it so much I made the skin on my elbow so raw it was almost like a cut.
To keep myself from letting myself scratch to such an extreme again, I try to only scratch when there's a layer of fabric between my nails amd my skin. Long sleeves help, and even though it releases the most negative feelings when I scratch my forearms or hands or my elbows, if I'm not wearing sleeves I'll scratch my legs where there's fabric instead.
I honestly have no idea how to stop, so I just try to control it to the best of my abilities
demigirl_madi

Next

Return to Teen Health