autism, maybe or just ocd?.

Teen health

autism, maybe or just ocd?.

Postby Selenelion » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:17 pm

So I think I (could) be autistic. I have OCD so quite a bit of overlap is there, but I know autism isn't detected in girls as much and that a lot of people have both ocd and autism. I doubt I do, but I can't help but wonder a bit. I stim a lot and have sensory issues, i cant handle loud noises, bright lights or anything. I don't cry or anything but I feel uncomfortable with all of these things will just feel wrong. When I was younger I wouldn't wear a lot of clothes because of tags and refused to wear jeans. I have trouble with eye contact and social things but I do have social anxiety. I also do obsess over things/interests. But this could just be ocd/anxiety.

I don't want to tell my mom she'll flat out say no. And I have no idea if I was tested for it in the past or not. Are there any neurodivergent peeps here that could tell me if it sounds remotely possible? (I know I would need to be diagnosed and go through testing to actually confirm it).
Selenelion

Re: autism, maybe or just ocd?.

Postby XxDancerChloexX » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:20 pm

Actually you sound like you have a sensory thing- I forgot what it’s called, but I have it too. I hate tags, I wear certain fabrics, I don’t like light, and others. So it’s just ocd and the sensory thing- I think. I’m not a doctor 😂
XxDancerChloexX

Postby RoseGold02 » Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:20 pm

I think you should move this topic to teen health. They can help you there
RoseGold02

Postby Dancer5678 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:31 pm

RoseGold02 wrote:I think you should move this topic to teen health. They can help you there

This is teen health
Dancer5678

Postby PositiveVibes08 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:33 pm

Dancer5678 wrote:
RoseGold02 wrote:I think you should move this topic to teen health. They can help you there

This is teen health

I believe the topic was moved after she said that.
Not that it matters, either way.
✨Sparks✨
PositiveVibes08

Postby Fire_Side » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:54 pm

I think you may have SPD, as opposed to autism. I’ve been wondering the same thing myself (as to whether I’m autistic) and I have SPD (self-diagnosed because diagnoses is not available at the time and you don’t get solely diagnosed with SPD). SPD is when you are either hyper-sensitive or not-sensitive to sensory stimulation. Most people with SPD often have sensory overloads and stim frequently, as well as not being able to handle specific sounds. It could also be misophonia, which is a less severe form of a sensory disorder.
Fire_Side

Postby Selenelion » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:29 pm

yeah I'll ask my psychiatrist thanks guys. Other than right now/in the shower/sleeping I'm pretty much constantly swimming.
Selenelion

Postby Maria Tz » Sat May 01, 2021 5:15 pm

Hi there. I don't have an answer to your question but I just wanted to ask the exact same thing and since I'm new here I didn't know if I had to start a new conversation or just use this one (You can still ignore me, sorry for bothering)♡ So..I'm 17 years old and I was also wondering if I could be autistic. I already do know that I'm highly intelligent but I was never tested further as a child and, as a result, that's the only kind of "diagnosis" I have. Here are some of the "symptoms" that lead me into believing that I may in fact be autistic: I don't like being touched by anybody but my mother, my dog and one friend, I have some objects and places that I consider "safe" *if that makes sense*, since I was a toddler I used to rub my fingers together (sometimes with a piece of fabric-like a curtain-as well), I get upset when in a place with a lot of people, I spend hours doing absolutely nothing but thinking of one particular thing or doing one particular thing, I have some tics that come and go (reverse breathing), I repeat some things multiple times (for example I check things twice) and last but not least, I have a different way of interacting with people: I don't bond much with anybody, I don't get emotional over the loss of anybody but I do care about others and I check on everyone even when they don't need it. Thank you for your time, I'm sorry if I wasted your time with my nonsense♡ (sorry if I made any mistakes, english is not my native language)
Maria Tz

Postby elisabeth03 » Sat May 01, 2021 7:02 pm

Hii I'm autistic and have OCD so kinda similar, I think it sounds like autism , some of the obsessions sound like OCD but the light sensitivity and stuff sounds like sensory processing disorder or autism. Do you have a lot of trouble with communication? That's usually the main thing and if not it could be Asperger's. They are kinda similar. Maybe bring it up gently with ur mum or ask how she feels about that? Having OCD makes autism diagnosis confusing I totally understand tho❤️❤️✨
elisabeth03

Postby Selenelion » Sat May 01, 2021 9:56 pm

I have social anxiety and am introverted. I generally do ok with social cues though.
Selenelion

Next

Return to Teen Health