Biting The Inside Of My Mouth

Teen health

Biting The Inside Of My Mouth

Postby Goth Girl » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:26 am

So, I have a problem with biting the inside of my mouth. It started with me biting my nails. Then I started biting the inside of my mouth when I was stressed, now I do it all the time. My mom told me if I don’t stop, then the next step is grinding my teeth. Is this normal? Is there anyway to help me stop?
Goth Girl

Re: Biting The Inside Of My Mouth

Postby Fire_Side » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:16 am

Me too. I have a huge scar on the inside of my mouth because I bit part of the inside off (I jumped off of a chairlift skiing and bit through my lip), so now all day I fiddle and chew with that scar. To try and stop it I’d motivate yourself my saying “If I don’t chew it today, I’ll treat myself to a snack I like later,” or something like that. I do that with myself, it’s normally being I’m going to give myself an extra bit of time without my InvisAlign because it really bugs my sensory irritation. That may not work for you, but it’s something that helps me.
Fire_Side

Postby Goth Girl » Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:20 am

Sorry I bet that really hurt. I’ve given myself scars just by biting too hard but I did that to myself. Also thank you, I will definitely try that.
Goth Girl

Postby HimuraMai » Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:25 pm

There are objects targeted at biting behaviour, I'd try to get something like that.
HimuraMai

Postby AgSphinx » Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:41 am

Yess I also have the exact same problem and it’s like a habit now that’s been going on for over 2 years actually but it stopped for a while last year but then I got stressed about something big and started doing it again! I recommend that if you want to stop tell someone who’s with you often like BFF sibling or parent to tell you to stop every time they notice you doing it
AgSphinx

Return to Teen Health