Ear piercing Infection

Teen health

Ear piercing Infection

Postby Selenelion » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:47 am

Ok so I frequently forget to wear earrings. Whenever I go for a few weeks to over a month without earrings and reinsert them I end up with an infection In at least one ear. Even when the hole hasn't closed up in the slightest. This is really annoying why is it happening?
Selenelion

Re: Ear piercing Infection

Postby Vekava » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:15 am

What type of earings? Gold, silver? You can be over sensitive. I also can only wear gold ones, and even then sometimes my ears can swell like crazy. You could also try to find ones made of surgical steel.
Vekava

Postby Selenelion » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:45 pm

I don't know, just generic ones from Claire's. For a while the infection made sense because my holes would probably close so I was essentially repiercing the skin, which could let bacteria in and stuff but this time they went in super easy. I would put in my first pair but I lost one of them. Yeah I fon't think I have gold or silver, I buy all my own earrings. And when my mom did buy me a set once I couldn't go over 8 dollars or something. So, I don't think I could afford gold ones aren't they like 15-20 bucks for one pair? I'll have to talk to her about buying some.

I clean my earrings and ear everytime I put a new pair in, and twice a day with the infection. So I don't think it's bacteria.

Oh and also after the initial infection, I have no more unless I take the earrings out wait a couple weeks to a month and then reinsert them.

Thanks so much!
Selenelion

Postby Cat girl oof » Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:55 pm

All of them I have gotten from clares gives me horrible rash I get hives. Also let me tell you this story. So I can only use one special kind of metal for jewelry and I had a necklace that was not that kind. I didn’t know. But within 2 min of having it on my whole neck and most of my chest and back were covered in hives. YIPPEE. Ya not fun.
Cat girl oof

Postby Vekava » Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:43 pm

Yeah, those generic ones can make your ears swell, many people have that problem. I personally could only use gold, not even silver, but I don't like gold so I stopped wearing earings. I got pearsings and all of them are made of surgical steel so I don't have any reactions. Maybe try to find some, surgical steel is cheaper than gold or silver.
Vekava

Postby CharlotteNanami » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:07 pm

Where I'm from we call them fanatasy earrings, and I think your skin might be alergic to this kind of metal they are made of, like aluminium.
If you can't afford gold and silver earrings try to find stainless steel ones or surgical steel I think is better said.
CharlotteNanami

Postby Selenelion » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:08 pm

Okay. My mom said she is gonna give me silicone sleeves to put on the posts of all my new jewelry and told me I have to buy gold from now on. So I'm gonna have silicone for a long while. Hopefully that will work thanks guys!

And also all the cheap jewelry stinks of metal. Like I can smell it. Is all jewelry like this or just the cheap kind?
Selenelion

Postby Allie88 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:23 pm

Cat girl oof wrote:All of them I have gotten from clares gives me horrible rash I get hives. Also let me tell you this story. So I can only use one special kind of metal for jewelry and I had a necklace that was not that kind. I didn’t know. But within 2 min of having it on my whole neck and most of my chest and back were covered in hives. YIPPEE. Ya not fun.

That means you're alergic to certain metals, go check it out. You probably should get a patch test done.
Last edited by Allie88 on Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allie88

Postby Allie88 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:25 pm

Selenelion wrote:Okay. My mom said she is gonna give me silicone sleeves to put on the posts of all my new jewelry and told me I have to buy gold from now on. So I'm gonna have silicone for a long while. Hopefully that will work thanks guys!

And also all the cheap jewelry stinks of metal. Like I can smell it. Is all jewelry like this or just the cheap kind?

Basically, you've sensitive skin ~~~ all fake jewellery earring - say goodbye....silver will also give you a reaction, just milder, yellow and white gold are your best bet... ~~~
Allie88

Postby Selenelion » Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:27 pm

Okay. Yeah clip on earrings always hurt and were itchy, even my friend's grandma's were irritaing.(they were fairly good quality I assume because grandma didn't have pierced ears) oddly enough I have one clip on that is costume that doesn't irritate me.
Selenelion

Next

Return to Teen Health