Reusable Menstrual Products

Menstrual health

Re: Reusable Menstrual Products

Postby Kamalama » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:06 pm

Strawberry123 wrote:
Kamalama wrote:
Strawberry123 wrote:I use period pants by ModiBodi. I love them. They're super comfortable, and absorb everything really well. I have a light flow so I bought the ones suitable for a light to moderate flow and they are perfect for me. They feel so much better than sanitary pads and tampons. I find pads are just uncomfortable, they're always massive (way too big for the gusset on most underwear), the adhesion is poor and they just make me feel sweaty and gross. Tampons are fine but honestly I can't see myself going back to them now. I hate how wasteful disposable products are.

Not being gross just curious, so you just bleed on them all day and then put them in the machine? Do they not start to smell and does the blood not stain the fabric? Plus any thicker stuff that comes out including clots need to be cleaned off?

Basically yeah you just bleed into them all day. They absorb really quickly so you don't feel wet or anything.

Before putting them in the machine, you have to rinse them in the sink with cold water. You just rinse until the water runs clear (which only takes a minute or less) then you can put them in the washing machine or laundry basket. I only have three pairs so I put them straight in the machine so I don't run out as my period is 6 days long. But in theory, if you have enough pairs you can just leave it til the end of your period and then wash them all together (but you must do the rinsing right away)

They don't smell! They don't stain either. I use black ones but I've not noticed any staining or marking.

Clots unfortunately do not absorb so you will need to wipe those off. I think that's the only downside. I don't personally have any clotting but I can see that it would be a bit of a pain if you do have frequent clots. They should be easy to just wipe off with a bit of toilet paper though.

Thanks, I'm liking this idea anything that makes the process more comfortable 😊
Kamalama

Postby Strawberry123 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:56 pm

It does feel a bit weird at first, knowing you're bleeding and essentially just wearing knickers. I had to keep checking the first time I wore them because I was worried I'd leak! But they really do work and are so damn comfortable. I defo recommend trying them. ModiBodi have a few different styles of underwear; bikini brief (which is what I use), boy short, full brief, high waist etc. They even have vegan options (which are made with a synthetic absorbant material rather than wool) Also in terms of flow, you can choose either light to moderate or moderate to heavy/overnight!
Strawberry123

Postby guard-girl » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:23 pm

Kamalama wrote:
eowolabi wrote:I love my reusable cup! I also wear thinx period underwear as another layer of protection and in tandem they both make my periods an amazing, seamless experience. My cramps aren't as severe and I worry a LOT less about leakage. It's been great!

What's making the cramp less?

She more than likely is mentioning that the cup is contributing to the lack of cramps. (1 year cup user here. I love it and highly recommend a switch! I’ve been using The June Cup Company’s cup and its SUPER affordable at $6usd)
guard-girl

Postby Kamalama » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:13 am

guard-girl wrote:
Kamalama wrote:
eowolabi wrote:I love my reusable cup! I also wear thinx period underwear as another layer of protection and in tandem they both make my periods an amazing, seamless experience. My cramps aren't as severe and I worry a LOT less about leakage. It's been great!

What's making the cramp less?

She more than likely is mentioning that the cup is contributing to the lack of cramps. (1 year cup user here. I love it and highly recommend a switch! I’ve been using The June Cup Company’s cup and its SUPER affordable at $6usd)

Thanks I've tried a cup it's not for me...I thought she maybe meant the compression of the pants.
Kamalama

Postby RadSapph » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:26 pm

I have been using a menstrual cup for a year now and I'm never going back! I love it, it took a bit to master and get used to but it's been the best decision I've ever made about dealing with my periods. Sometimes I do use a pad to make sure everything is 100% safe, like when I can't go and change at a toilet or when I have a heavy flow at night. It's made my periods infinitely more comfortable and now I don't feel guilty about using 3-4 pads a day or ~5 tampons! :)
RadSapph

Postby Kristalina28 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:11 pm

Hi Luna, I’m happy you found out about them. I’ve been using menstrual cups for about 6 years now and wished everyone who menstruates would give reusable products a try. My journey was a bit bumpy as my cup was leaking constantly an I was worried it would not work for me. In the end a forum entry helped me in which someone explained how it was important to find your way to your cervix and make sure the cup would sit exactly around it. I realised then that everyone is entirely different and my way to my cervix had a little natural ‘bump’ of va**nal tissue I learned to push away to access my cervix fully. Since then I’ve never had issues and this experience has enabled me to explain how to solve this same issue to other people who haven’t gone through this process of self exploration.
Kristalina28

Previous

Return to Menstrual health